Eight options for a protein packed breakfast
In addition to ensuring our body can perform the basic functions it needs to survive, protein helps satisfy hunger for longer periods of time and aids in muscle recovery.
For some, increasing their protein intake can be daunting. I hear time and time again, I just can't eat that much meat! Or for some, I just don't like to eat that much meat! While I'd recommend whole proteins like egg whites and lean sausage for breakfast, there is hope for those that don't have a taste or the time for that type of breakfast fare!
1. Look for protein fortified cereals, like Special K Cinnamon Sugar Crunch or Kashi Go Lean, which has a variety of higher protein options.
2. If you're looking to pack a bigger punch, pair your protein fortified cereal with protein fortified milk, like Fairlife, which is available in both chocolate and regular, as well as fat free.
3. Another option for even more protein is to add a low fat, low carb whey protein to your cereal milk.
4. Speaking of protein powder, there's always the option of a protein packed smoothie! Try blending a low calorie frozen berry like strawberries or raspberries with a vanilla protein powder and milk. If calories are a concern, you can even swap out regular milk for almond milk, at only 30 calories a cup!
5. Cottage cheese and fruit. I'm honestly not a huge fan of this option because I prefer savory pairings with cottage cheese, but some people love it. With 13 grams of protein per half cup of cottage cheese, this is a total win!
6. Protein fortified pancakes or waffles. These are a fun weekend option for me when I have a little more time. Kodiak Cakes offers a whopping 15 grams of protein per serving. Add in an egg and sub protein fortified milk for regular milk and you have an additional 13.5 grams of protein per serving!
7. Greek yogurt with berries and/or cereal. Greek yogurt has more protein and fewer carbs than regular yogurt. Pair fat free Greek yogurt with a berry of your choice and add some crunch with cereal. Bonus if you choose a protein fortified version! Sweeten with stevia.
8. Protein fortified oatmeal! Who doesn't love a warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast? This is even something you can stash easily in your bag and make when you get to the office! Throw in a handful of berries and/or even some slivered almonds and voila! Protein perfection😘.
So there you have it! What protein packed meat alternatives are you loving for breakfast?! Let me know what else I need to try. And, let me know what you think of some of these!